Reed Township, Dauphin
County, is a small rural township in central
Pennsylvania. It lies along the Susquehanna
River and is north of Harrisburg. The township
was founded in 1849 and was named after William Reed,
a prominent resident at that time. Most of the
land is agricultural or forested. The current
population is 182 residents.
Areas of interest are the
Susquehanna River, which provides recreation, the
Appalachian Trail, and state game and forest lands.
While the township is
small, it is served by three different state police
barracks, has three different telephone exchanges (one
being a long-distance call for the other two), two
different towns for mailing addresses, has two
different emergency services as first responder
depending on where one lives, and our children go to a
Perry County school. While this may seem
confusing to everyone else, our residents have been
taking all this in stride for many years.